Indian Fry Bread



My sister-in-law, Merrillee, taught me how to make these. Her mom makes them at pow-wows. I make mine less sticky than her because I can't seem to get them the right shape without starting with a ball and rolling them out a little before stretching them. I need to watch her a couple more times. I make these for Indian Tacos but I usually double the recipe and then there are plenty to eat for dessert with honey butter (equal amounts of butter and honey beat together well).


Recipe:

3½ C AP flour (Blue Bird Brand)
¼ C powdered milk
2 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1¾ C warm water
Oil

Put all dry ingredients in bowl, mix and make a well. Add water to well all at once and stir briskly with fork from center until most or all of flour is incorporated. May need to add ½ C more flour. Knead 50 times in the bowl. Dough should be sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap for 30 min to 3 hours. Make twelve 3 ounce balls or pinch balls the size you want from the dough. Partially roll with rolling pin then stretch with hands, holding dough with one hand while putting other hand, palm up, under dough and stretching with fingers. Fry in hot oil until light brown. Lift sides with fork to brown middle.



Comments

Popular Posts