Dana's Mayonnaise

I was so thrilled when I learned to make my own mayonnaise.  I had been studying about healthy oils and was trying to eliminate all the unhealthy oil products from my family's diet.  This recipe took a lot of adjusting and re-trying.  I think I've spent two or three years adjusting it, but I'm satisfied with it now.  The mayonnaise works best if everything is room temperature and especially the eggs.  Sometimes, if the eggs are too cold, they won't emulsify.

Funny mayonnaise story:  My daughter, Aubrey, likes to tell people how crazy I am when she woke up in the middle of the night and heard someone up in the kitchen.  She came in the kitchen and there I was, making mayonnaise.  She thought it was so funny.

I am really crazy about cooking.  I get so excited about it sometimes I can't sleep.  I lie there and think about the ingredients I could add to recipes to make them better and then I get up and try it.

Update 8/2/2021: I thought I was going crazy after we moved back to Utah and tried about 10 batches of mayo that I couldn't get to thickly emulsify.  I was so frustrated because I've made dozens of successful batches and taught classes and individuals how to make this.  Finally figured out that the eggs sometimes in the stores are old.  I bought some fresh quail eggs from a neighbor and they worked like a charm (but it does take about 12 whole quail eggs to make this recipe).  Apparently, the lecithin in an egg yolk weakens as the egg gets older!


Recipe:

2 egg yolks
2 whole egg
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (stir in after it's done, unless using an immersion blender)
1-2 tablespoon white wine vinegar (use 2-3 tablespoons if you don't use whey)
2¼ - 2¾ teaspoons salt (depending on how much oil you use.  It continues to get less salty for a couple of days)
1/8-1/4 teaspoon of paprika or smoked paprika
2 dashes of white or black pepper
1-2 tablespoons sugar or 1 pinch monk fruit extract
¾ teaspoon dry yellow mustard
2 teaspoons creamy horseradish
1 tablespoon whey (optional but if you don't use this, increase vinegar to 2 tablespoons)
1-2 tablespoon *boiling water (optional)
2-3 cups regular olive oil or a mild oil such as expeller pressed Safflower oil, expeller pressed canola oil or light olive oil or avocado oil

Everything should be room temperature.  Put everything but oil and lemon juice in shallow mixing bowl. Put oil in a squeeze bottle. Turn on hand mixer to egg mixture on low speed. Keeping mixer in one place as much as possible, add one or two drops oil and mix 20 seconds. Repeat four or five times. Start slowly drizzling oil while mixing until mixture starts to thicken.  Continue slowly adding oil until it becomes thick (you may not use all the oil or you may need a little more). Add the lemon juice, mix with a spoon or spatula and put in a container.  This will keep for a month in the fridge, longer if using whey.  If mixture emulsion breaks before all oil is added you will have to start over with another yolk or two. Easiest way to make is with a Vitamix blender (or stick blender) on low following the above directions, except blend the egg mixture together on high to create air before you add the oil.  Then as it thickens you will have to increase the speed a little to keep it moving (always add the lemon juice very last because this bleaches the color).  For stick blender, put all ingredients, except oil, on bottom of tall narrow container. Place stick blender on bottom of container over eggs. Add oil all at once, keeping blender over eggs. Start pulsing blender, keeping it on bottom of container until you see the mayo forming. Then slowly pull the blender up to the top while holding down the button.  You can also use a food processor on low speed.  And if you want a workout, just use a hand whisk.  Makes about 2 cups.

Note:  If your mayo is beginning to thicken and then it all of a sudden turns runnier and separates, this is called "broken".  You can fix it by starting over with another egg yolk or some mustard.  

*If your mayo emulsifies but stays loose, make sure you add the boiling water and continue to add oil while mixing until it thickens.








Comments

Popular Posts