Æbleskivers

Æbleskivers are a Danish pancake.  Chuck grew up eating these, but before I married him I had never heard of nor seen them.  There are many different versions of this recipe that I've found and I don't know how authentic this one is, but this is the one we've used.  We just open them up, put some jam in the center and pop them in our mouths.  Some of our kids like them a tiny bit doughy in the middle, but it's hard to get them just right as they continue to cook after you take them off the heat just like everything else. The Æbleskiver pan pictured below we've had for 30 years and we got it from Chuck's mom so I don't know how old it really is.  Looking at this picture makes me realize I should try and clean it up a little better.

Funny Story:  Austin (who likes doughy centers) made these one morning for breakfast.  When I came into the kitchen, Austin said, "Mom, I made breakfast for you."  I looked at the plate of Æbleskivers and saw these flattened balls swimming in a pool of batter.  I said, "Ooooh, Thank you."  I had to eat at least one, yuck!  They sat on the counter half the day until I tossed them when he wasn't looking.


Recipe:

Danish style:
2 C soft wheat or AP flour
2 C buttermilk
3 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp soda
2 Tbs honey or sugar

Standard style:
2 C soft wheat or AP flour
4 eggs
½ tsp salt
1 Tbs honey or sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ C butter
2 scant C milk

Mix dry ingredients together.  Beat wet ingredients well and then combine with dry. Heat pan over medium heat until hot.  With a butter knife, add a little bit of butter to each hole.  Fill holes about 3/4 full.  Turn heat down a little, when Æbleskivers are golden brown, turn balls over by carefully stabbing the inside edge with a fork and turning.  Put a little bit of butter in each hole every time.



Comments

Popular Posts