Dana's Chili

I can't claim full credit for this recipe since I adapted it from a recipe I got from someone I knew in Virginia who was a chef.  My family is divided on which chili recipe they like best between this one and Rocky Mountain Elk Firehouse Chili which I will post in the future.  This one is my favorite.


Recipe:

2 lbs ground beef
1 lb Dana's Italian sausage
2 cans kidney beans
4 cans pinto beans
2 (28oz) cans diced tomatoes with juice, blended
11.5oz V-8 or tomato juice
6oz tomato paste
1 cup chopped onion
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
2-3 other hot peppers (roasted, skinned pasilla or anaheim or other)
1 Tbs minced garlic
2 Tbs crumbled bacon
2 tsp beef bouillon
½ C chicken broth
¼ C chili powder
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs oregano
1 tsp basil
2 tsp cumin
1 Tbs hot sauce (optional)
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tsp smoked paprika
¼-½ C brown sugar

Brown the ground beef and sausage in a stock pot. Add all other ingredients, stir and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for at least 2 hours (but the longer, the better), stirring occasionally.  Adjust spices to taste. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours for best flavor.



Comments

Popular Posts