Dana's Sweet Cream Ice-cream


Ice-cream is one of the things we can't seem to live without.  Even when Chuck was in school (for nearly eight years and we had five kids) and we had very little money, we almost always managed to scrape up enough money for ice-cream every so often.  This is a recipe I'm pleased to say I made up all by myself.  After I perfected this recipe, I used it to create several other flavors which I will add to the post as I make them again.  The Agar-Agar powder I find at an Oriental market.  The Guar Gum powder you can find at a health food store.

Funny Ice-cream Story: My kids find great joy in rehearsing the story of my experience in making up this recipe.  My favorite ice-cream place used to be Cold Stone Creamery.  I always ordered Sweet Cream Ice-cream with three mix-ins--raspberries, pecans and chocolate chips.  I just loved the Sweet Cream which tastes just like it's name.  I decided I wanted to try and make it myself so I went to Cold Stone and asked the employee if she could read me the ingredients off the container.  To my surprise she was happy to (later I found out you can look at them on their website).  I wrote them down and went home and began experimenting with amounts.  I ended up not using the exact same ingredients, but was able to achieve the flavor I wanted with what I used.  When I got the flavor and texture where I was satisfied with it, I went back to Cold Stone and asked if I could have a sample taste of their Sweet Cream.  To my joy, my ice-cream was better than theirs in flavor and I was so elated I got back in my car (without buying anything) and started to cry.  It's kind of embarrassing, but there it is!  The texture of mine isn't quite as smooth, but it's good enough for me.  Update 1/26/17--Texture has been fixed.  It is now very smooth!

Recipe:

1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp agar agar
1½ C sugar
1½ cans sweetened condensed milk
1/16 tsp guar gum
1/16 tsp xanthan gum
1 C dry powdered milk (not granulated, not Morning Moos)
5 C whole milk
5 C whipping cream

1. Mix agar agar with 1/4 of sugar in a small bowl.
2. Measure the rest of the sugar and condensed milk into a bowl.
3. Mix powdered milk with guar gum and xantham gum in a bowl.
4. Measure milk and pour into a large sauce pan or small stock pot.
5. Measure heavy cream and set aside.
6. Heat milk on between low and medium low while whisking vigorously.
7. At 77°F, whisk in the powdered milk mixture.
8. At 86°F, whisk in the sugar and condensed milk. Turn heat to medium-low.
9. At 113°F, whisk in the agar mixture.  Turn heat to between medium-low and medium.
10. Continue stirring and heating to 185°F.
11. Remove from heat and put the pan in the sink filled with ice and cold water just about half way up the pan, stirring occasionally until it's warm.  Whisk in heavy cream and continue to cool until cold.
12. It's best to refrigerate the batter 12 or more hours but it's okay to process immediately.
13. Process in ice-cream maker, adding mix-ins in the last couple of minutes, and put in a bucket.
14. Ripen in freezer for at least 4 hours.

Makes approximately 5 quarts.

This is a base you can use to make other flavors. Example: For Mint Chocolate Chip, add 1 Tbs peppermint extract, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 C mini chocolate chips. Add sweetened raspberries, bananas, pecans and chocolate chips or brownie chunks. Add crushed Butterfinger bars. Add anything! For Vanilla add ¼ C vanilla.  For a Chocolate Shake put 200 g ice-cream (sweet cream or vanilla) in a blender with 26 g Dana's chocolate syrup and blend on low just until mixed.  If you like it thinner, you can add a little milk.



Dana's Sweet Cream Frozen Custard
Omit guar gum and xanthan gum
Decrease milk to 3 C.
Add 8 egg yolks

1. Same as above.
2. Add yolks to the sugar and condensed milk and stir.
3-7. Same as above.
8. Omit.
Add step: At 95°F, whisk in the heavy cream.
9. Same as above.
10. While it's heating, slowly whisk about 1/4 C hot mixture into the yolk mixture and stir well.  Repeat 2-3 more times.  Then whisk all of the yolk mixture into the hot milk mixture and continue to heat to 185°F, stirring constantly.  (You don't want to add hot liquid to the yolks too fast or they will cook in lumps).
11.  Same as above except the cream has already been added.
12-14. Same as above.

Comments

Popular Posts