Flour Tortillas

When I was a youth my family was friends with a couple of Mexican families.  My dad speaks Spanish very well and I loved spending time with them.  One time my mom and I asked one of the mothers to show us how to make flour tortillas.  So we had a demonstration, but this mother didn't measure anything so we would take each ingredient and measure it after she poured it in the bowl.  That way we were able to create a recipe for flour tortillas.  Since then I've changed it a little of course.  For one thing, the original recipe called for shortening, but in my efforts to be healthy I've completely cut shortening out of my family's diet.  You can replace the shortening with butter (my preference) or oil or fresh lard (which is very hard to get).  I make them different sizes depending on what I'm using them for.


Recipe:

5 C flour, loosely packed (I use 2 C soft wheat flour and 3 C bread flour) 500-600 grams
3 Tbs raw wheat germ
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
½ C unsalted butter, oil or fresh lard (if using salted butter, reduce salt to 1 1/2 tsp) Try reducing to 84 grams or 6 Tbs
2 C more or less very hot or boiling water (472 grams) Try reducing to 400.

Mix dry ingredients. Cut butter into flour to make fine crumbs and pour water over flour while folding it in (or if using oil, combine oil and water).  Let it rest 5-10 minutes and then check to see if there's enough water.  Lightly knead two to three minutes.  You want it to be sticky because the flour is going to continue to absorb the water (whole wheat flour especially absorbs more water) as the dough sits and you want this dough to be very soft.  Separate into 1.5-3.0 ounce balls and let rest in an airtight container covered with a damp cloth for 30-60 minutes.  Roll out with rolling pin, using enough flour so the dough doesn't stick at all, and brown both sides on a burner or on a dry pan over medium to medium-high heat.  If your tortillas are not bubbling in spots, you don't have the heat high enough.  Cooking them on a cast iron pan works the best.  Makes approximately 15-20 tortillas.

Food Processor method: mix dry ingredients for a few seconds, add butter cut in cubes. Turn on processor and add water. Process until all flour is incorporated, a few seconds.

Whole Grain version:
458 grams whole wheat flour
68 grams barley flour
18 grams flax seeds
69 grams rolled oats
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
corn starch (must test for amount)

Mix all together and add:
68 grams oil
409 grams water

Mix for 8 minutes.  shape in balls.  Proof in freezer for 10 minutes.  Roll or press.  cook 30 seconds, try oven at 400°F.




Comments

Popular Posts