Dana's Quick-style Tomato Basil Soup

This recipe for Tomato Basil Soup was just an inspiration on a whim.  One evening I hadn't planned in advance for dinner and I kept putting it off during the day until it got quite late.  I finally made myself rest a minute and think about what I could make that was quick.  I realized I was craving tomato soup so I thought, "I want some tomato soup.  I think I'll just make some up."  And I did.  And this was the result which I've had many many compliments on since.


 Recipe:

½ C butter
3 cloves garlic, pressed
¼ C AP flour
6 C water
2 Tbs onion powder
1½-2 Tbs chicken bouillon
½ tsp dried basil
¼ C sugar or honey
12 oz tomato paste
2 C whole milk
1½ C heavy cream
Salt to taste
fresh basil (optional)

Melt butter in stock pot. Add garlic to saute for a minute. Add flour and lightly brown. Whisk in the water and then the onion powder, bouillon, salt, sugar and basil. Add tomato paste. Bring to boil while stirring constantly and boil at least one minute. Add milk and cream and heat to steaming. Serve with fresh basil if desired on top. This makes about 6-8 servings.

This soup is delicious and more nutritious if you add 1-2 C cooked quinoa. Serve with grated cheese, crackers, croutons or grilled cheese sandwiches.



Comments

Popular Posts