Filipino Egg Rolls

I learned to make these when I was 18 from my college roommate, Karen.  There were seven of us in our apartment and we didn't share food, but because I was her roommate, Karen would share her egg rolls with me.  As a starving college student, these were heaven to me.  I've been making them ever since and my family loves them.  The only difference in egg rolls and spring rolls is the wrapper.  Egg roll wrappers have guess what in them?  Egg!  Big shocker.  Spring roll wrappers, although they look almost the same, do not have egg in them.  Egg roll wrappers are a little thicker, more chewy versus crispy and have a distinct flavor.


Recipe:

1 lb ground beef
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
1 large carrot, grated
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
Soy sauce to taste
30 egg roll wrappers
2 tsp flour
Water
Oil

Brown garlic in dry frying pan, add ground beef and onion and chop and cook until browned, seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and drain well. Add carrot and water chestnuts. Season again with salt and with soy sauce. Mix well. Make a flour paste with the flour and as much water as you need to make a smooth, loose paste. Put 2 Tbs filling in each wrapper and tightly roll up, folding the sides in as you go. Seal each ending corner with the paste. Deep fry in oil over medium heat.



Comments

Popular Posts