German Potato Salad

I learned to make this from my German friend, Edith, in Virginia.  She only had an approximate recipe so I had to fine tune it and ask her if I got it right when she tasted it. I think this recipe is a tradition in just her family, not all over Germany.  I love potato salads and this is an excellent version, maybe my favorite.  You can buy the German bologna in any grocery deli.  Don't have the deli slice it, just buy it in one chunk.  The German pickles seem to be a little harder to find, but they can be found at many grocery stores.  Traditionally they come in a glass jar shaped liked a barrel, but the ones I found this time I made it were in a regular jar.  Their taste reminds me of a cross between a dill pickle and a bread and butter pickle only more mild on both accounts.


Recipe:

5 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
6 eggs
1/2 lg sweet onion, finely chopped
3/4 lb German bologna
25 oz German barrel pickles (no garlic)
1 C mayonnaise or Dana's mayonnaise
2 Tbs white vinegar
2 Tbs pickle juice
1 1/2 C water
2 tsp beef bouillon
Salt and pepper

Dissolve bouillon in water and refrigerate. Boil potatoes and eggs, completely cool in ice water (can be made the night before and refrigerated) and peel and cut into small chunks. Cut bologna and pickles into small chunks (example: cut pickles in fourths lengthwise and then cut in small chunks. Use this as a guide as the size for the egg, pickle and bologna. The potatoes will be a bit bigger). Chop the onion smaller. Put all vegetables and bologna together in a large bowl. Add the vinegar, pickle juice, 1 C of the broth and two big spoonfuls of mayonnaise. Start folding it all together, being careful not to mash the potatoes. Add more mayonnaise and broth if needed, tasting as you go (you may not use all the mayo or broth. I usually use all the mayo but not all the broth). Add salt and pepper to taste.




Comments

Popular Posts