Greek Lemon Chicken Soup

I wasn't sure it would ever happen, but after 2 years I'm beginning to feel like cooking again after my huge diet and life changes!  I think I will be posting a lot of soups for now since they seem to be the easiest for my diet, and winter is now settling in.  I found this recipe online and of course have adjusted it.  Amber helped me with this one.  The first time I made it though I added lemon rinds to the sachet.  I probably left the sachet in too long because there was a bitter flavor from the rind and there was just too much lemon.  But the flavor was delicious!  So just don't over-due the lemon!


Recipe:

4 tablespoons olive oil plus more for browning chicken
1 cup carrots (finely diced)
1 cup celery (finely diced)
1 cup sweet onions (finely diced)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg 
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 stalk fresh rosemary
1-2 stems fresh dill
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon coriandor seed
6 cups chicken broth
12 oz cauliflower rice
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts

1. Place the rosemary, dill, peppercorns and coriandor seed in a sachet.
2. Heat some oil in a frying pan, season with salt and pepper and brown the chicken on both sides. 
3. Heat oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium high heat.  
4. Add the carrots, celery and onions to the pot and saute a few minutes, until softened.  
5. Add the garlic and seasonings, and continuing to cook until fragrant.  
6. Add the remaining ingredients, including the sachet, and cover.  Lower the heat to maintain a low simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes.  Turn off the heat and leave the soup to stand with the lid on for a few minutes.
7. Remove the chicken, cool and shred, then add back to the pot.
8. Add 1 teaspoon salt or to taste and serve.



Comments

Popular Posts