Dana's Dill Pickles

I did an experiment on making dill pickles.  It has taken me a couple of months but I really like the recipe I've settled on.  I looked up several recipes on-line and then I got two recipes from friends who got their recipes handed down from family.  I made both of these recipes as directed and then experimented with some changes.  The following is this delicious, super crunchy result and my family loves them!


Recipe:

To each quart add:
1 large dill head (or 2 medium or 3-4 small) or 1 Tbs plus 1 tsp dill seed
Scant 1/2 tsp crystalized alum or 1/4 tsp powdered alum (very important--it DOES make a difference)
1 tsp yellow mustard seed
1 tsp sugar
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
Scant 1/4 tsp tumeric
8 black peppercorns
As many small, washed cucumbers as will fit

Brine:
Bring ingredients below to a boil and pour over cucumbers in jar to cover.  Immediately place canning lid and ring on each jar and wait for them to seal.  Do not process unless they don't seal.  In this case, I prefer to seal them with the jar sealer attachment on my food saver machine but if you don't have one you could try covering the jars with water in a pot and boiling for 2-5 minutes.  But I can't guarantee the wonderful crispness of these as I haven't tried that.

For 9 quart jars:
1 1/2 qts white vinegar
3 qts water (or 3 1/2 qts)
2/3 C sea or pickling salt

For 4 quart jars:
3/4 qts white vinegar
1 1/2 qts water
1/2 C sea or pickling salt

For 3 quart jars:
2 1/4 C white vinegar
5 1/4 C water
1/3 C sea or pickling salt

For 2 quart jars:
1 1/2 C white vinegar
3 C water
1/4 C sea or pickling salt


For my Hamburger Dill Chips:
These don't taste like the store bought hamburger chips but I like them better and they are awesome with sandwiches too!

Cut the cucumbers in thin slices with a garnishing cutter.  Fill pint bottles with sliced cucumbers to bottle neck, pressing down to get as many as possible in the bottle.

To each pint add:
2 tsp whole dill seed
Scant 1/4 tsp alum
1/16 tsp garlic powder

Brine for each pint:
1/2 C water
1/2 C apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs sea or pickling salt

Bring brine to boil, pour over cucumbers and immediately place lid and ring on and allow the bottle to seal.


Comments

Popular Posts