Althea's Baked Rice

I got this recipe from my favorite aunt early in my marriage.  I've tried to make it using brown rice but it doesn't turn out as well as the rice doesn't get tender enough.  I'm sure there's a way to make it work by making some changes.  I just haven't tried to figure it out yet and we have so much white rice stored I have to make some things with it.  This is super delicious!


Recipe:

1 C butter
1 tsp ground oregano or 2 tsp dried
2 1/4 C long grain dry rice
2 C water
1 large onion, chopped
2 small cans mushrooms stems and pieces
3 cans beef consomme (it's different than broth)

Melt butter in a large skillet. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on top of stove for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Bake 350°F in covered 9 x 13 pan for 30 minutes. Serves approximately 15.



Comments

Popular Posts